Possible last ride of the Season?

Doug, I, and Matthew Powell made it out this weekend. We met on the BRP and then wended our way to Kentucky. We departed at 7am Sunday and the temp was 31-37 (depending on where you were). We climbed a hill into the Sun and the temp rose to 55 in the course of about 5 minutes. I was "macho" and went without the heated jacket and the Sun was great. Then, we decended into the valley again and it dropped below 40! This put a chill in me that I could not shake without stopping for coffee. Note to self: "You haveheat: use it!".

On a back road, this 18 wheeler flat bed shot out in front of us and was just tearing up the road. He was doing 25-30 in the corners and hitting mid 60s in the straights. If a guy can drive a truck like this dude,there's no excuse for a car not being able to go the speed limit! When the truck got to a stop sign, he waved us by. He was a great guy, and I was kind of sad because it was an experience following a truck that could move like this. He must drive the road all day long.

On the BRP Friday, I hit a deer. It was on my right and started running in front of me, parallel, on my right. I braked hard to about 40mph, then it turned left on a dime in front of me. I continued to brake, and swerved, and mentally calculated (in that subconcious split second brain way) that we would pass without incident. Well, I was a hair off and clipped her left hind leg. I don't think I hurt her, but it felt like running over a 2x4. Maybe she suffered a broken leg, which would be fatal, but at the time I was busy with my end of the deal. No damage at all to me or the bike. There are A LOT of deer out now. I'm seeing them all along the roads, dead and alive. Maybe we'll get one more ride in before January.

Rob

Comments

wantucce said…
Glad to hear that you are ok. I guess that you did not have time to get the nine out. Nothing like BMW tenderized venison.

I got out for a few minutes yesterday (70 degrees in November)but not enough. Hoping the weather holds for next weekend. No heated gear for me.
GatorGetterGal said…
Glad you guys got to go out. The deer episode is something!! Glad you're OK. For me, my mind keeps wandering back to having a bike again. John and I looked through some of his Rider mags this past weekend. It's kinda difficult, though, with Zoe. We'd have to find someone to watch her everytime we wanted to ride. That's tough to do. So my mind is still churning. I am liking the Yamaha V Star 950 Tourer...

Popular posts from this blog

Fall Ride in NC with the Bumble Bee

Newest Dragon Rider